vale of tears (valley of tears)
- a place of trials and troubles, life on earth, this mortal coilBrothers and sisters, our burden is heavy tonight - heavy with the passing of dear Jesse, who has departed this vale of tears.
- leave quickly, go, get going, hit the roadWe better vamoose, my friend, or we'll be late for our appointment.
variety is the spice of life
- a variety of experiences makes life interesting, to each his ownOn the sign above the door were these words: GENERAL STORE Variety is the spice of life!
vegetate (veg out)
- not do anything, be a couch potatoAfter work he just vegetates - just sits there and says nothing.
- agreed, all rightVery well, if you want to go I will go with you.
- unbroken sequence of cause and effect with bad resultsHe had fallen into a vicious circle of drinking too much and then losing his job and then drinking even more.
- Very Important Person, big boys, big wigOnly the VIP's - the president, and members of the board - are invited to the dinner.
- untouched or unexplored areaThe island was virgin territory. There were no signs of humans.
- a "real" experience created on a computerVirtual reality allowed me to experience space travel.
visit a spell
- visit for awhile, set a spellWell hello, Charlie. Come in and visit a spell.
- defeat in a voteThe proposal to extend the opening hours of bars was voted down in the election.
vote of thanks
- an expression of thanks from a group, tip of the hatWhen our president spoke, she gave a vote of thanks to the volunteers.